Wednesday, October 1, 2008

La Ceiba

Yesterday I arrived in La Ceiba, Honduras where I will be spending the next couple of weeks with the Pettengills. Today Mike showed me around the city and showed me several places where they hope to begin ministries. The Pettengills have been in La Ceiba for about 3 months. Some of their plans include planting a church, teaching ESL classes, ministering to the poor with medical clinics, working with street children as well as the elderly. There will be 3 interns joining the Pettengills next month and two more families in January. Please pray for the team here in Honduras as these ministries are beginning. It was exciting to see the opportunities here in La Ceiba and I am excited to learn more during my time in Honduras. Tomorrow morning Mike will be teaching an ESL class, so I'll get to tag along and observe that. Tomorrow night we are going to a youth function where we will stay up all night hanging out, playing games, and sharing the love of Christ.
Ya know those three years of Spanish I took in high school sure haven't helped me to communicate much. In fact, I think I have forgotten how to speak English as well. Ever since I got on the plane in Miami people have spoken to me in Spanish before English and I just give them this look and completely blank out, and they realize I have no clue what they are saying. Hopefully I can remember a few things over the next couple of weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking how great it was that you took Spanish, then I remembered how much you did not really like learning it...perhaps we can fly Ms. Broderick down for the next few weeks to be your personal translator!

Sarah said...

What an adventure, Pamela. Yeah, it's funny how fast we forget languages.

Sounds like there are lots of opportunities but also much uncertainty... hope you can enjoy these next couple of weeks and just "be" there a bit. I always have trouble doing that and not thinking about the future the whole time.

Allison said...

Hah hah, I'm there with you on Spanish! And I come across patients every day who only speak it!
Glad you are there. Your bed is nice and comfy... But, I miss you anyways. It was lonely playing with Owen all by myself!

Mike S said...

Yo quiero dos cervesas...and donde esta el banjo... D