Friday, October 3, 2008

Como se dice...everything in Espanol!

Fishing dock in La Ceiba
ESL Class
Some students from the class
Litchi Fruit

Today was day 4 in La Ceiba. I have been extremely spoiled with "cool" weather. I believe it is extremely tolerable and comfortable although not everyone would agree (mom and Becca :)) It is in the 80s and very humid, but there is a nice breeze, and it is cloudy, keeping things cooler.
Yesterday I went with Mike to Armenia Bonito, the poor community they are working in, he taught an ESL class to 23 students. Since I don't speak Spanish and only understand a little I was able to help only with pronunciation. I would walk around saying words and listening to the students repeat them. After class a few of the kids hung around and had a blast playing with my camera. The kids also taught me a few words in Spanish and wanted me to tell them how to say names in English. They would say...como se dice Miguel...answer...Michael. Como se dice Pamela...answer...Pamela. And on and on the names came. They were fun kids and I loved hanging out with them.
Last night we met up with a couple, who are friends with the Pettengills, for an all night youth event. This couple, Megan and David, have a yoth group called "Flame" and last night was the 2 year anniversary of the group. We met up at KFC-that's right, they have KFC. Then we headed over to see a movie-something about Horror on Prom Night or something, not going on my list of top ten favs (although Allison guess who was in it-that's right Jason Street!). Then we went to play some futbolito-indoor soccer on a mini field. I LOVED watching these kids play soccer. I mean it is seriously awesome. Then we headed over to have a time of devotion and played some ping pong. And the final stop was at one of the students' house where the kids swam and we had a pancake breakfast. I came home and crashed for a couple hours and then Mike and I headed back out to Armenia Bonito to visit with a couple people. There is a shelter out there for boys called-Ninos de la Luz (Children of the Light). I got a tour of it and it is an awesome place.
This weekend we are gonna take it easy and rest a bit. I have been praying that while I am in Honduras I would just soak up my time here, learn all I can, and stop constantly dwelling on the future. I have been asking Mike tons of questions and I am really enjoying the culture here.
Today we tried some fruit-we had pineapple, oranges and a fruit called litchi (kinda like a grape).
I havn't seen too many creepy critters. So far just lots of geckos, a bat, and this morning there was a tarantula in the house (fortunately I was asleep at the time.)
I'll post some pics. Enjoy!

4 comments:

kelly said...

Pamela!!! So glad you posted! Fun to read (EXCEPT the tarantula part!!!!)

Praying for you...

Allison said...

Ah, Jason Street...too much drama.
Sounds like you're having some good times. Miss you and hope you're doing ok!!

Anonymous said...

PAMELLA!
those weird fruit things... the one that started with an "l'... we have those in the philippines. they are called rumbaltons there. FUNNN foreign fruits!
i love you and miss you.
keep us posted!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the update! So good to hear what's goning on. Praying...