Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Muthiga

So many things have been happening here since I last wrote. We have been so busy and having a wonderful time. The kids in Abigail’s kindergarten class are really getting to know me and feel much more comfortable with me. When I arrive in the morning they all yell out my name and run to me and nothing in the world could make me happier than to see the smiles on all of their faces.
This past Sunday I taught the children’s Sunday school class. I taught about Moses and the plagues. Then we learned Proverbs 3:5-6 together and the kids had it down no problem by the time I left. These kids pay attention so well and love to learn. They know the importance of education as well as studying the word of God and it is awesome to see.
There medical team that has been here for the past two weeks had their last clinic today. I am sure they saw several hundred patients, although I don’t know the exact number. One day last week I was able to assist Ellen, one of the nurses, for a while. We saw a patient named Julius who has some really awful wounds on both of his legs. Well Ellen did the best she could to clean the wounds and wrap them and then gave Julius Keflex to get kid of any infection. Today as I was outside the church getting the “mud” off of my shoes Julius came back to see the doctor again and I was so thrilled to see him. I was able to assist Ellen again, and while the wounds sill look pretty bad, there was definitely improvement in how they looked last week. Ellen redressed the wounds and showed me exactly what to do and now every Tuesday and Thursday for the next 5 weeks that my team is here Julius is going to come to the church to have the wounds cleaned and looked at. Peggy, my team leader, is a nurse, so hopefully we can continue to get the wound cleaned and see it heal before we leave. Please keep Julius in your prayers.
Another fun thing that we have been doing is going to a slum called Muthiga in the country on Monday afternoons. I think I have talked about Muthiga before. We do VBS type activities with the kids there. It is fun to go every week and see the same kids. And every time we go they are more excited to see us than the week before. Yesterday we told them the story of Noah’s ark and then made boats together. We really had no clue if they would even know what a boat was, but they listened to the story and really seemed to catch on. When we were singing with them yesterday they started doing all the hand motions with us and laughing and trying to sing along. We have come quite a ways from 3 weeks ago when they sat and stared at us wondering what these crazy white people were up to. It will be amazing to see what God will do over the next 5 weeks.
There are many more stories I want to share and I will soon. For now I am headed off to dinner. I am sure there will be rice! As always!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pamela,

So good to hear more. You sound like you are really enjoying your time and are able to be a blessing.
Just had a nice long visit with M & A in OKC. Miss you! Praying - Aunt Pam

Sarah said...

Isn't is amazing how curious children are? And how eager simply to love and be. Glad to hear you are getting to share Jesus' love continually with these little ones. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Allison said...

Glad to hear you are expanding in your nursing knowledge!!
Love, your friendly roommate nurse