Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Matatus

Today we went to Kibera for the AIDS support group and to learn more about what we will be doing in the church. The people that came to the Support group were awesome. They really love God and depend on Him for everything. I have a lot to learn from them. We met all of the staff. Including all of the teachers. They have 3 grades before K and then grades K-4. I talked to the teachers and I am hoping to be able to help in the classrooms. The kids were so welcoming to us. They taught me a hand game where you sing and count and they all wanted to play it with me. They got in a line and all took turn playing it with me. Imbumi drove me to Kibera this morning, but to come home I went with the rest of the team on a Matatu, which is a 14 passenger van that is like a taxi. Now really this van should fit about 9 or at most 10 people in it, but we had at one point 21 people in it. I was thankful that Imbumi took my backpack home in his car because I would have been nervous to have it with me. I was also thankful that God provided me a seat by the window, because boy was it crowded. The matatus drive very fast and go around as many cars as possible in order to get as many passengers as they can. It was unlike anything I have done, but it was a great way to experience the culture. Then we walked about 3 miles home from the Matatu stop. I am really enjoying getting to know the Kenyans. They are extremely welcoming and very friendly. Pastor Imbumi puts us on the spot a lot. He will introduce several people to us and then ask us to repeat all of their names. So I have to really stay on my toes and pay attention. Thanks for the encouragement. Love hearing from you all. Please pray that the team would be able to remember the names of all of the people we meet, and be able to learn some Swahili quickly. Also I have a cold, so please pray that I would get well fast. Miss you all.

5 comments:

kelly said...

Pamela!! I hadn't checked in a few days b/c I didnt know you'd be able to write! So excited for you!! And I about had a heart attack reading about your crazy van experience! That is too many people for clausterphobic Kelly! :)
Can't wait to follow your journey.
love, kelly

Mike S said...

What is the weather like? Temperature? Any rain, etc?
D...

rachelbradley said...

hey... the crowded bus sounds like mexico! i guess american taxis are the unusually ones. i love that the kids wanted to get in line so they could play with you! i am praying that your cold will go away... hopefully it is your body trying to adjust to the newness of it all! i am praying for you friend

Allison said...

I'm glad to read on what you're doing. I thought it wouldn't be quite so often. I also notice I made the blogroll...hah hah.
Will be thinking and praying for you while waiting for another update!

Unknown said...

I am so glad that you get to write so often! The bus ride sounded like something you will remember forever! My mom wouldn't have made it! I will be praying so that you remember all the names! Love ya,
Shlee