Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bible Club

Yesterday we had a Bible Club at the church in Kibera and we had a HUGE turnout. I think about 250 kids. It was a blast and I was completely exhausted at the end of the day. All of the interns put on a skit about the Good Samaritan. I was the robber and had to pretend to get into a fight- I think the kids thought it was hilarious. Then we split the kids up into four groups according to their ages. I was in charge of crafts along with 2 other teachers. I had a coloring sheet for the younger kids, and with the older kids we glued different colored hearts together that tell the story of the gospel. I had 120 color sheets and it wasn’t even enough! The room we did crafts in was very tiny and at one point there were about 80 little kids packed in there. Kenyans don’t have a sense of personal space too much though so it wasn’t really a problem. It was so crowded that rather than handing out crayons and glue we just started throwing them around the room. The kids got quite a kick out of it. The other stations for the Bible Club were a station for games, one for singing and one for learning the memory verse. After all of the activities the kids had juice and sandwiches. It is amazing how the church cares for and ministers to the people in the community around the church. It is a beautiful picture of the gospel.
After we did the Bible Club with the younger kids we took the youth from the church (age 12 and up) and went to the park across the street from Kibera. There was a huge soccer game and then we split up the guys and girls and had some group discussion. One of the interns, Liz, shared her testimony with the girls and then we all talked about things that we struggle with. Some of the things these girls shared was heartbreaking. They shared everything from feeling pressured by friends to do things they shouldn’t, to being angry, to having alcoholic abusive fathers. I can’t even imagine some of the things these kids deal with. But they still want to come and learn about Jesus and learn what it means to love in spite of their hardships.
Today Brent, one of the interns, preached in church. It was nice to hear a sermon in English. He preached on Revelation 3 and not being lukewarm in our faith. Then I had a wonderful surprise at the end of the day! My friend Juli, who also happens to be Brent’s girlfriend and is here in Kenya, came to visit us for dinner. I had no clue she was coming and when she came into the room it was one of the greatest surprises ever. I love it here, but I do miss home and it was fun to have a friend from home here visiting.
Tomorrow I am giving my testimony at the women’s AIDS support group in Muthiga. Please pray that God would speak though me and that I would be able to be an encouragement to the women in the group.
I just want to you all to know I appreciate your prayers and your emails and comments on my blog. Know I am getting them all even if I can’t respond to everything. Your encouragement means so much to me.

4 comments:

kelly said...

Good to read what's going on. You are prayed for!

Anonymous said...

You the robber - that definitely would have been the part I would have pegged you for : ) Seriously thank you for sharing your story what an encouragement to pray. Take Care!

Stan said...

Have a good 4th tomorrow Pamala.
I talked to your mom today. I'm sooo glad things are going well for you there - and also proud of you. Hope to see you soon.
Love,
Uncle Jerry

Anonymous said...

Happy 4th of July! Sounds like you are learning a lot and having a wonderful time sharing you love with others. Yes, we would love to see you in Atlanta. You are in our prayers.
Love ya,
Aunt Patsy