Monday, December 13, 2010

Orlando

The last three days I was in Orlando catching up with many of my favorite people. Allison, my Orlando roommate and one of my BFFs, spent the weekend driving me everywhere and letting me do tons of things at the last minute with the most laid-back attitude. We had a great time buying a Christmas tree and decorating it, watching movies while drinking hot chocolate, and spending time catching up on life. Allison is such a caring friend and I don’t know what I would do without her! I’m excited that Allison is going to be coming to visit me in Uganda!


On Saturday I was able to meet up with one of my Uganda teammates, Josh, at a little southern restaurant in the small town of Wildwood Florida. It was fun to catch up, talk about Uganda, and enjoy some sweet tea on a sunny Florida afternoon. Josh is getting his PhD in Environmental Engineering and will be working to ensure there is clean water in Bundibugyo as the water runs underneath the road that is going to be paved in the near future.

On Saturday night I spent time with the Johnsons. This family is good for my heart. They are some of my favorite people in the world. Ande was my RUF minister while I lived in Orlando, and he and Kelly have two of the cutest and sweetest boys I’ve ever known. I love visiting with Ande and Kelly. They give the best advice, are so encouraging, and absolutely hilarious to top it off.

Sunday I went to my old church, UPC, and got to see some old friends after the service. Then Sunday evening I went to the Kinnaird’s home to share about Uganda with several families from my LIFE Group (Bible study) from UPC and old RUF friends. They asked tons of great questions and I loved telling them about the awesome things God is doing in Bundibugyo. It was also a joy to hear about the things happening in their lives as well. These families and friends were so supportive of me during my time in Orlando, and continue to be a huge blessing in my life. 

Monday I saw two more of the world’s greatest families, the Swains and the Noels. Scott and Leigh Swain took me on as one of their family members when I met them back in 2007, and are an amazing couple with four children who I wish I could spend tons of time with because they are a blast! Scott and Leigh have taught me so much and always give me the best advice. Scott is a professor at RTS, and he and Ande Johnson are my go to people for all theology questions. It was so great to see them and catch up for a couple of hours. 



The Noels were my last stop on the way to the airport. Jonathan (the music director from UPC) and Amanda are another dear family who I spent a lot of time with during my Orlando days. They have two kids who I used to babysit for all of the time and it is amazing how these two sweet kiddos have grown in the last couple of years since I moved away. This awesome family of four joined hands with me and all said a prayer for me as I prepare to go to Uganda. I can’t describe how precious it was to hear 3 year old Emmy, and 5 year old Gabriel pray for “blessings and safety as Miss Pam goes to Africa.” 


Thank you so much to everyone who came to see me or let me stop by your home. You all were, and always have been, such an encouragement to me and I’m so thankful for the little bit of time I was able to have with all of you this weekend. Love you guys!

1 comment:

Allison said...

All those people are reasons I am still sane here in Orlando!! I am so glad you came, it was so great!! Thanks for being there. Thanks for your great advice, esp when I get a little crazy, as you know. But how crazy can a laid back person be? Love you!
Next time: MORE PICTURES!!