Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Best Dog Ever

Meghan was the best dog anyone could ever hope for. I mean she was seriously perfect. I was there the day she was born on January 3, 1997. She became a permanent part of the family at 8 weeks old, on March 3, 2007. All of my parents’ memories of Meghan are simply that she has always been “perfect.” Well I do think Megan was the greatest dog of all time and was eventually the perfect dog, however, I remember some moments when maybe I didn’t feel she was quite so perfect :)

The first incident I recall was the summer we moved across the country. Meghan was 6 months old for the 3,000 mile road trip. On one of our stops I was taking Meghan for a bathroom break. Well at the time, I was 11, and Meghan probably weighed almost as much as me. When she spotted the rabbit there was no time for me to let go of the leash before I was pulled flat onto my face, dragged across the field, and my glasses were smashed to smithereens.

Then there was the first time Meghan experienced fireworks. She hated fireworks her whole life. They made her jumpy and nervous. Well her first 4th of July back in ’97 we had yet to realize this, so we took her to the fireworks show. She started freaking out and struggling and ended up bashing me in the face and smashing another pair of my glasses to smithereens (I believe it was a couple of months later when I began wearing contacts :))

The time I was the angriest at Meghan was when we first moved to Virginia and I was home alone. Somehow she got out of the yard (hopped the fence or dug out from underneath, can’t remember which now as both events happened frequently when she was a puppy :)). Well I just grabbed a box of chocolate bars (great treats for a dog, I know) and I chased her all over the neighborhood trying to entice her home with those chocolate bars. She would get real close to me and I would hold out the chocolate, but just as I would lunge for her collar she would lunge for the chocolate bar, and because she was as fast as lightening, I fed her an entire box of chocolate bars before I caught her. I’m surprised she lived through that incident:)

Well over time Meghan became the greatest dog of all time. A little over a year ago when I got Addie, Meghan played a huge role in “training” Addie. Addie is sure an amazing dog, and although she’s a puppy, and has gotten into her fair share of mischief (jumping out the car window while I was driving, destroying about 20 pillows, 2 chair cushions, and countless socks) she has learned to come when called, because Meghan always came when called, she has learned to play fetch, because Meghan was the champion of fetch, and there are countless other things Addie learned from Meghan.

Meghan really was the best. Coming home tonight and not having Meghan come out to greet me was heartbreaking. I will surely miss that fluff muffin. I’m so thankful her sidekick, Addie, is here to keep me company. But certainly there will always be a void that no other dog will be able to fill completely.

I'll love you and miss you forever Meghan!





1 comment:

Allison said...

Awwww...sweet Meghan. I never did get to meet her, only via Skype. :(