Friday, September 3, 2010

Full Plate

I realize that I haven’t posted on here in a few weeks and that is because my days have been jam packed FULL! And that is because...I HAVE A JOB :) I couldn’t be happier or more excited about this school year, but I also realize I have a lot on my plate and I might be living in “Miss Stephens’ Dream World” which could come crashing down on Tuesday (the first day of school) but hopefully not!

It was about 4 weeks ago that I was hired and I have spent every weekday, minus maybe 2 or 3 days, in my classroom. My room has come together nicely. But have I done much planning? Mmmmm...maybe not. Oops. Well, I’ll get it finished this weekend! I spent two weeks cleaning, organizing, throwing things away, moving furniture, and did I mention organizing!? My room was a disaster, but it has all come together and I will post pictures next week once the kids have taken over :) This past week was teacher work week and the week before that was training for new teachers. I have had more training the past two weeks than I think I received in 18 years of my previous education. Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating, but it sure felt that way. In the midst of all of the curriculum training I also had some other responsibilities put on my plate. My principal called me about a week ago and asked me if I would be the media liaison for my school (twice a month I have to send pictures and information to the newspaper, local TV stations, etc.). So of course I said “sure!!!” Then I went to more training :) Then at the beginning of this week my assistant principal says, “Miss Stephens, You are going to have the gifted cluster class.” And I said “ok!!!” And off to more training I went :) Then today my principal AND assistant principal come to me and say, “Miss Stephens, Will you take the BRIDGES kids in your class?” And I say, “oh, why not!!!” (BRIDGES is a special program for autistic kids, and 6 of their students will come into my room for portions of the day). Anyway, things keep piling up and I know this is going to be a crazy year, but I’m honestly thrilled.

Oh, and there was a bonus to taking all of this on. There is a new writing curriculum that I think is AMAZING and have been dying to teach called Being a Writer. Well each grade level is allowing one teacher to teach the curriculum this year, and I was not assigned as that teacher :( I asked my principal if we could share the curriculum, and she gave me a no. And since it is about $400 a kit, I knew I wasn’t going to be getting one. Well today when I had BRIDGES added to my plate, and I took it so willingly, my principal said she would get me my very own Being a Writer kit! YAYYYYYY!!!!!!! This must only be exciting to a teacher :)

I would definitely appreciate prayers that I will be able to juggle all of my new responsibilities as well as raise support. Please pray that my students will respect me as a teacher, and that we will all work well together, and learn from one another. And please pray that I would get enough sleep and stay healthy this year :)

Oh and I already have a funny kiddo quote! I had the kids do a Getting to Know You activity at Open House last night. One of the questions was, Who is someone that you admire and why? Well one of my students wrote...

I admire the girls at McDonalds and I don’t know why.

I’m thinking this one is going to be quite a character :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth Denise said...

so excited for you!!! you'll be in my prayers. just remember to lay down the law the first day and week, don't try to be too nice, they'll love you more in the end for it.

Sarah said...

Craziness! And so fun... hope you are enjoying your class!

Becca said...

Love the quote Pammy, too cute! I can't wait to hear more. Love you!