Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I am not a Wal-Mart

Well I keep meaning to take pictures of my class, but just like dozens of other things I keep meaning to do, it just keeps getting pushed further down on the list. My classroom certainly has a quite lived-in look and I have decided I rather like that :) I adore each and every one of my students (and tomorrow I am getting a new one). There are many different types of personalities, and some present more of a challenge than others, or I could say will probably be the cause of a couple of premature gray hairs :) But still, I am enjoying my kids.

I feel extremely overwhelmed and never understood how much work a teacher actually does…until now. Trying to teach math, science, social studies, health, writing, reading, grammar, and listening, as well as other things here and there is a lot to juggle. I suppose every teacher feels the exact same way. It is amazing the expectations and pressures that are placed on teachers. I guess that is just the nature of the job. I am still struggling to keep my head above water in this third week. Spending all of my weekend planning from sunup to sundown almost put me over the edge this past weekend. I haven’t had any real meltdowns yet, but I have had some close calls.

My biggest challenge has been parents. Apparently along with the gifted cluster class comes concerned, overbearing, overcommunicative parents. What I really want to say to them is, “It’s been 2 weeks! Relax! Everything will be fine!” And to some I want to say, “Do you think I am a Wal-Mart? I am not open 24/7.” Although they believe that is how often I should be at their beck and call.

Anyway, hopefully I’ll have some funny stories to share soon. Nothing comes to mind right now, but my mind is so jam packed that the more I try to remember, the more I forget! Throughout the day, as I think of things I need to do, I ask my responsible students to remind me at certain times during the day. They are very diligent about doing so, and that is one great advantage of teaching 4th grade :)

I’m planning to go to DC on Saturday to spend the day with a friend. It will definitely be a very welcome distraction from real life :)

5 comments:

kelly said...

oh, Pamela....such a well-written and honest post. No, you are not a Walmart. You are smart and funny and capable and I'm sure a FABULOUS teacher already...close calls and all! Saying a prayer for you and your kids tonight.

Allison said...

Hahahahahah. "I am not a WalMart" Best thing I've heard all week. I hope to talk to you soon to hear all about your new job.

DrsMyhre said...

Thanks for inviting us to see your blog. Love the header photo: when was that? Where? Hang in there with the first year of teaching, everyone says it is by far the hardest. Love,
Jennifer

Michael said...

I believe Michael Scott knows the correct response to your title.

Pamela said...

Jennifer, That picture was taken in Kenya in 2008. I was there for 8 weeks with MTW.