Monday, October 24, 2011

Overnight Stay

Sometimes it seems like my life isn’t real. The last 24 hours felt that way. A Ugandan family that is friends with World Harvest agreed to host me as an overnight guest. On Saturday evening around 6 I went over to Aste and Buligi’s. Buligi is a pastor at a church out in Bundikakemba, he also milks our cows everyday, and brings us fresh milk twice a week. They have 7 children, 6 of them live at home and the 7th goes to Christ School. We all sat around the fire together and I watched as the girls made fish stew, rice, and cooked bananas. While dinner was cooking they asked me to teach them a song, so I taught them Lord I Lift Your Name On High, and they also taught me some Lubwisi songs. One of the girls, Anna, braided my hair, and then everyone decided that I looked like Shakira, which prompted us to sing This Time for Africa. After dinner we went inside their mud house and played a game by the light of a flashlight since they don’t have electricity. Once it was time for bed I went into a small room with all the girls. They gave me the nice mattress with the mosquito net and the three girls squeezed onto another small mattress.
Squeezed around the table to enjoy dinner.
Sunday morning we woke up and had fresh hot milk and bread for breakfast. We then proceeded to begin our hour-long trek to Bundikakemba for church, of course greeting everyone we passed along the way. As we walked down the narrow dirt path lined with cocoa and other tropical trees with the beautiful Rwenzori Mountains in the background I was overwhelmed with gratefulness for where I am and this family that treated me as a member of their family! Once we got to church I was informed that I would be part of the choir (those of you who have heard me sing are cracking up right now), would introduce myself to the congregation, and pray for all of the children during the service. It ended up being a wonderful experience. Everyone was so warm and welcoming and they seemed to appreciate my singing and dancing efforts. When I was called up to pray for the kids Buligi had all the children come to the front and they gathered all around me as I prayed over them. As we walked home Anna held my hand, and the other brothers and sisters held hands as well, which is very normal in Uganda.

Our beautiful walk to church.
Praying for the children.
Before I went to Aste and Buligi’s, I have to admit I was nervous about the experience. Not speaking the language, staying in a home that is so different from what I am used to, anticipating the long walk to Bundikakemba, as well as the long service all made me unsure of whether I could handle it. Not only did God sustain me, I was so humbled by how this family gave me the best of everything. They gave me the best food, the best bed, and the best seat in church. Their selflessness and warmth towards me was a wonderful reminder of how the love of Christ should look. I am thankful to have these new Ugandan friends and I’m looking forward to many visits with them in the future. 

2 comments:

Chrissy Chip said...

Pamela! This is awesome! I'm so glad you are having such incredible experiences and that you are diving right in :) Praying for you!

Allison said...

The singing is the best part, I wish I were there!!