Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'm A Graduate (Almost)!

My sweet Fourth Graders had a little farewell party for me. They put me in a chair in the middle of a circle and read sweet letters to me about our time together.

My student teaching has come to an end! I finished teaching 4th grade last Friday and returned to my assistant position this past Monday. A little over 16 weeks ago, the night before I was going to begin student teaching, I remember thinking to myself, “this is going to be a long and hard 16 weeks.” Well it FLEW by! I loved my fourth graders. It is nice that I work in the class across the hall, and I still get to see them around the building. I did learn that I prefer teaching the younger kids. I MISS my first graders SO much! I am hoping to get a position teaching a lower grade in the fall, preferably K, 1, or 2. But I won’t be picky. I’ll take anything that is a real teaching job!

I sent my application in to World Harvest this week. I am waiting on my references to be returned and for them to review everything. The next step is to be invited to Assessment and Orientation. That is a week long interview process at World Harvest headquarters the end of July. I have applied to teach at a small school for MKs (missionary kids) in Uganda.

My FINAL assignment for school is due on Sunday. Then I will be finished with my master’s degree! I can hardly believe it. It seems like just yesterday that I started. This process has flown by too! It is amazing how quickly life changes. I am SO excited for this next year. I have been collecting a big pile of things for MY classroom in the fall and I am going to have so much fun setting it up!

On another random note: I was teaching a unit on plants and one of the kiddos said the SWEETEST thing for me to add to my quote book. I was asking for examples of germination, and I asked them if they could find an example in the classroom. We had planted seeds that were beginning to sprout, and I was looking for one of the kids to give that as an example. One little boy raised his hand and said that I was an example of germination. I said, "what do you mean?" His reply was, "well you're growing into a teacher." How precious is that! :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Kids are so cute and yet say the most profound things. Call me whimsical, but I love the image of you growing into a teacher! You are you are!

kelly said...

sweetest thing a kid could say!!