Friday, January 22, 2010

One Lesson Down…974,873,297 to GO…

Today was the first time I taught an entire lesson that I planned all on my own! I loved planning the lesson and I enjoyed teaching it too. I did learn that I have work to do on classroom management :) The kids were having fun and were very excited, but once I started asking questions I had a hard time getting them refocused. The classroom teacher told me I’m not mean enough. So hopefully I can get a little “meaner.” After I taught the lesson I had the kids make life size skeletons. They turned out super cute.

Here are some funny comments the kiddos made…
(After I showed some real X-rays to the kids) “Miss Stephens, are you a Doctor?”

“Miss Stephens, how did you learn all of this stuff about bones!?”

(I asked the kids what a marionette was because it was in a book that I read. Keep in mind that these kids are only 6. This is the answer one of the girls gave me.) “A marionette is like a puppet, but you don’t put your hand in it. It is on strings and you hold it by these two crossed sticks, and you can make it dance around and stuff.” ( I was thinking…WHAT! I could not have explained it any better :))

Next week I’ll be teaching social studies every day. I am SO thankful to be with the classroom teacher I have to guide me. She is wonderful! If I can be half as good as her I will be so happy. I do feel a little overwhelmed with the thought of completely taking over the class. I know this is a great experience though and I’ll come out having learned a ton! And hopefully having gained better classroom management skills. That is the scariest thing to me about teaching. The kiddos make it all worthwhile though :) I just adore them!

2 comments:

kelly said...

YAY Pamela!! I could see where you might need to practice meaness...you are one of the nicest people I know!! :)

Elizabeth Denise said...

at first you HAVE to be extremely strict and mean. the beginning of the school year i was very,very strict and the other teacher was very lax and easy well now my class is amazingly well behaved and i never have to raise my voice and her class is unruly and i hear her constantly yelling. and although i'm strict my students love me to death and the other teacher's students are always saying they want to be in my class, lol. i honestly think the best teachers are the ones with great classroom management. if i can only give you one piece of advice that would be it.